1/5/13

Draft 13 – Eric Dorsch, Austin Meadows, Clint Frazier, Dominic Smith, Logan Koch


Hey Keith, Mark Appell still 1-1 for you? do any of the prep bats have a chance of moving into that slot in your mind?

Klaw (Keith Law) – Still 1-1, yes, but with the caveat that the gap between him and Manaea/Stanek is small.


Kendall Rogers – @KendallRogersPG –

Keep an eye on Kent State R-So RHP Eric Dorsch. Stricklin compared him to Jeff Nelson a bit. Big frame, up to 93-94 this fall. Stricklin said Dorsch had the best fall of any pitcher.



Scouts compare Austin Meadows, a five-tool phenom, to Josh Hamilton. As a junior this past season, Meadows put up the following numbers: .390 AVG, 4 HR, 28 RBI, 19 SB. Austin was a member of the USA 16U team, hitting a superb .537 AVG, 1 HR, 28 RBI, 6 SB, over 8 games. In the NFL, scouts time 40-yd dashes; in baseball, scouts time 60-yd dashes. The average 60-yd dash time for MLB players is 6.6; Meadows is at 6.31. – http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2013/01/01/is-austin-meadows-the-next-josh-hamilton/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IWantToBeASportsAgent+%28SportsAgentBlog.com+-+Sports+Agent+News%29

(Mack – baring some major injury, Meadows will be the first outfielder chosen in the draft, regardless of how well others like Stanford’s Austin Wilson or Loganville HS (GA) Clint Frazer plays. He’s a rare talent that comes around once a draft and, the only reason he won’t be picked first overall is the fact that this draft is pitcher thin and Houston, Colorado, and Chicago (Cubs) will be tempted to scoop up the likes of Stanford’s Mark Appel, Arkansas’ Ryne Stanek and Indiana State’s Sean Manaea.)



I continue my series of talking with some of the games finest players going into the preparation portion of their pre-season. I threw out the following question: What are you doing specifically at this point in the pre-season to get ready for what probably will be the most important baseball year in your young life?”


Loganville High School (GA) OF Clint Frazier, projected by some to be the first outfielder chosen in the draft this June was very focused with his response: “Beating the competition – I’m not satisfied with anything that I’ve done, so anything & everything I do this spring will be based off everyone else in the country & what I can do to beat them in what I put my mind towards this upcoming season.”

Observation: No one benefited from the summer leagues more than Frazier. An outstanding arm from centerfield that was clocked at 98. Has some of the most powerful hands in baseball and still has room to grow when it comes to using his lower body in his swing. I easily have him as one of the top five overall picks, though I do have Austin Meadows as the first outfielder chosen in the draft.


Serra HS (CA) 1B Dominic Smith has quietly pushed himself into the position as the projected 1st first baseman to be drafted come June and he told me about his logical approach to training: “Well for me, I’ve just continued to work hard every day like I’ve been doing since I started playing this game. This is an important time in our young careers, but a lot of top guys forget this is the same game we’ve been playing since we were kids. So they press and try too hard, or try to do too much instead of play their game like they’ve done in the past when the spotlight wasn’t on them. I’m personally going to continue my workouts with my high school and extra personal workouts to get me faster and stronger and ultimately in the best shape I can be in to compete against older guys in the system. I know it will take a lot of hard work and it’s a grind. If it was easy everyone would do it, but I’m up for the challenge. I’m going to take it one day at a time and remind myself it’s a child’s game and is supposed to be fun. So I’m just preparing myself for a long year!”

Observation: Outstanding power hitting lefty who also sits at 91-92, so you decide what position you want to draft him at. Had himself quite the summer which has helped propel him up the mocks. I have him in the supplemental first round.



Lastly for this posting, South Mechlenburg HS (NC) catcher, Logan Koch, told me: “Mack, in the winter months I work on my throwing by focusing on arm strength. In the offseason I throw a little less but do more long toss. During the season I work a lot on accuracy too. I think this is the most overlooked skill. I also do a lot of hand-eye drills like “short hop” to keep my glove sharp. Even though I’m a catcher I also field a lot of ground balls indoors. It’s great for quickness, footwork and conditioning all in one. During the offseason I work with a trainer to improve my core strength and gain power. My conditioning work is focused on technique so I don’t injure myself while trying to gain strength. I like the ropes and other training tools. I don’t just lift free weights. I also work on my mental preparation that way I’m ready for the opportunities that come my way. I surround myself with people who have a positive attitude. There’s no place for negative thoughts in baseball.”

Observation: Koch is very projectable and has plenty of room to grow stronger. Outstanding defensive skills and started to show some pop last season. Signed with Sooth Caroline; however, will be tempted to sign with a team that will probably draft him on the first day of the draft.

No comments: